Monday, January 12, 2015

Another Ecstatic Opening Out, and the beginning of 2015

The New Year is off to a good start for me. I have worked on my current music project--a song cycle for soprano, clarinet, and piano--every day, and plan to work on it daily until it is finished. And I already have three ideas for new composition projects, but more on those later.

For 2015, to date I have averaged spending 70 minutes per day on the project, which exceeds my daily minimum goal of 30 minutes per day. Things may change as my work schedule picks up, but I am glad to have gotten the New Year off to the right start. And I am committed to writing EVERY DAY of 2015. It helps having already established a daily writing practice with NaMuWriMo back in November!

What's more is that I am regaining my confidence in my own creative abilities, and good things are happening. I recently learned that a piece I'd written for flute, violin, cello, and harp was recently selected for the Locrian Chamber Players' 2015 Season. It is called Another Ecstatic Opening Out, and I wrote it back in 2009 when I was on sabbatical leave at my last job. Here's a recording of the piece performed by a different ensemble in 2010. The piece starts very softly so turn up your volume and be patient for the gradual dynamic increase that takes place over the next nine minutes. Hope you enjoy!



4 comments: