Friday, April 12, 2013

"Hopelessly"


First of all, I apologize to my small but dedicated readership that I did not post last week!  April is a notoriously busy month at my job--mix in buying a house and traveling--and, well, something had to give.  Unfortunately, it was my blog!  Not cool, I know.  At any rate, I thank you for you patience . . .

Today's song is one I wrote a long time ago about unrequited love, which seems to be a theme that has kept many songwriters busy.  I’m a chord nut and was particularly happy with the chromatic chords I use in the bridge of the song.  The chorus section uses what music theory nerds call the “circle of fifths,” which is a common type of harmonic sequence that might sound familiar to you because it is used in a lot of different pieces of music in a lot of different genres.  (Several other songs that use the circle-of-fifths progression include the Kosma/Mercer jazz standard “Autumn Leaves,” Kern’s “All the Things You Are,” and my personal favorite, Lionel Richie’s “Hello.”)  Whatever!  Hope you enjoy this week’s song:



Music and lyrics written by Victoria Malawey © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Title: "Hopelessly”
Written March 2002

Lyrics:
It’s only fair that I share
How I feel with you
I don’t know how this will end
Being just your friend

See it’s tearing up my heart
I’m just playing a part
When I’m hopelessly in love with you

Now I’m just trying to forget
These feelings in hope you won’t suspect
I’m hopelessly in love with you

Like an ending unknown of a story unread
I’m dying to know will this love remain unrequited?
I don’t know how this will end
Being just your friend

It’s tearing up my heart . . .

And I don’t want to hurt you
I know you have to live your own life, too
I’m just suffocated by hiding
I’m still in love with you

Cheated I feel I’ve been
Without any grounds
Betrayed I feel I am
But I have no right 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I did miss you last week and glad you had a nice little vacation... hope you're settling in to your new home just fine and dandy and glad to see you back! YAY! I don't understand the whole chord thingy - circle of fifths - and all that "jazz" - it's way over my head. I just know I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I missed a post from you last week. I was having internet and connecting issues and thought I just couldn't get it when it occurred to me you were traveling. I sure enjoyed this piece and surprised myself associating the circle of fifths in it with

      Delete
  2. what I have heard in Lionel Richie's "Hello". I really like the musical composition tips you explain along with the background of the pieces you post.

    ReplyDelete