Friday, April 19, 2013

"Walls"


I wrote a lot of silly songs when I was a pre-teen and a teenager.  Most of them aren’t that great (but I had a lot of fun at the time!), but this week’s song is the first song I wrote that I felt was decent.  This recording is a tribute to a much younger me.  I guess I was obsessed with the major-major seventh sonority at the time (not sure why, but it is a harmonic fixture of the song).  I also use a major no-no in my harmonic “progression” (the ii goes to I7—for shame!).  I generally dock my students for doing this sort of thing, but it happens in some pop music and well, in tribute to my 16-year old self that didn’t know any better, the succession remains.

Hope you like this week’s song:



Music and lyrics written by Victoria Malawey © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Title: "Walls”
Written March 1993

Lyrics:
Walls, walls
I work within my walls
No society to bother me
Seclusion at its highest form
My walls

Old room with new sounds
My chamber with a purpose
Memories locked in green
Walls, I work within my walls
My walls

Four structures leading me to myself
The walls which inspire me
No one enters or goes out
Just me and my walls

Within these walls there is something special
Sitting here right beside me
God he guides me in this journey
Within my walls
My walls

A high of life trapped within these walls
No one views but me
Would one believe if I explained it?
No, only colors they’d remember
Walls, I work within my walls

3 comments:

  1. You kept this from us all these years???? Love it. You were a musical genius even at the ripe ole age of 16... I mean, I knew you were talented then, but I only thought you sang and played the piano (other people's stuff). Had no idea you were creating your own beautiful creations. You need to make a cd. I'm also thinking you better dig up ALL your stuff and let's us hear it... xxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, how about that last line ... and let us hear it versus (let's) oh, I type too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the most beautiful voice! I could listen to you forever. Listening to your weekly postings brings back the sweet memories of listening to you when you were growing up.

    ReplyDelete