Friday, May 3, 2013

"The Only Side"


This song may have been a good one to start this blog with back in January because it tried to capture the frustration of stifling creativity.  I wrote it while trying to balance a lot of difficult things in my life--a new full-time tenure-track job, writing my dissertation, a social life and personal relationships--and I felt like there wasn't any time or space for writing songs.  

I apologize for the wacky camera angle and light from the windows behind me.  I recorded the song with my phone (as usual) in our new house, and we haven't gotten blinds yet for the room so there is no way to control the light at this time.  At any rate, here's the tune:



Music and lyrics written by Victoria Malawey © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Title: “The Only Side”
Written Winter 2005–06

Lyrics:
Been trying to sing for a long time now
But I just don’t have the time
What good is it anyhow?
To play it feels like such a crime

I tire of crying and playing this game
I dream of flying, but it’s all the same

Been trying to sing for a long time now
But I just don’t have the time
What good is it anyhow?
To play it feels like such a crime

I’m sick of trying
I dream of crying or flying far away

Been trying to sing for a long time now
But I just don’t have the time
What good is it anyhow?
To play it feels like such a crime

The only side they see of me
Is the only side they choose to see

I dream to be free
Breaking from all I’ve done
Takes away my breath
It scares me to death

Been trying to sing for a long time now
Been trying to sing for a long time now
Been trying to sing for a long time now
But I just don’t have the time

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're making the time now to post all your previous and future songs. Love it. Love the piano in this one. Don't know what that's called - egads, I know nothing about music... except what I like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the same "I like the piano in this one" that Lynn said. I picked up on that right away and was tickled to see Lynn thought/heard the same thing! She and I have about the same amount of musicality so it makes sense. Your voice, your lyrics, your piano composition are something I just never tire of. You are a treat!

    ReplyDelete