Monday, November 10, 2014

Checking In: Week 1 of NaMuWriMo

As of November 9, I am nine for nine out of days in which I composed for a least 30 minutes/day. Cool! So far, I am meeting my goal. I don't quite write five measures a day every day (some days I write as few as three partial measures, but other days I have written as many as 14 measures!) But--whatever--it isn't about the number of measures I write, it is about writing something, anything, each day.

And the best news is that I finished my first of five songs for the song cycle project. Awesome! I am going to wait until next month to put it all into the computer notation program (right now it exists as handwritten pencil on manuscript paper, but it is A COMPLETE SONG MANUSCRIPT). And now I can move on to the next song in the cycle. I already have a partial sketch of ideas for a vocal melody, but at my next session I'll move forward on it.

What I have learned by doing this daily practice so far:

  • I write when I make the time for it in the morning.
  • I started out very slow at first (3 measures, then 4, then just 3), but now that I am in a regular habit, I am more productive (i.e., write more music) with the time I have.
  • It helps to have a supportive partner. Every morning she has walked the dog or given me time and space I need to create. Thank you, Kate!
  • For the first time in awhile, I am REALLY ENJOYING composing and I look forward to each morning session I have.
I'll report again next week, with hopefully similar success!

Statistics for week 1, plus the weekend, if anyone is interested:

Date Minutes Measures
1-Nov 31 3
2-Nov 32 4
3-Nov 31 3
4-Nov 36 3.5
5-Nov 37 6
6-Nov 40 13
7-Nov 31 4
8-Nov 32 5
9-Nov 50 14
TOTAL: 320 55.5

No comments:

Post a Comment