Friday, January 4, 2013

"Why"

Today's video is a recording of a song I wrote over twelve years ago when I was going through a rough time.  I wrote 11 songs that year--probably my most prolific songwriting year, and also probably the worst year of my life.  Glad I got through it and I still have all these wonderfully depressing songs to sing!  (Ha ha!)

(BTW For the music theory nerds among you, there is an awesome N6 chord in the bridge but it resolves in an unorthodox way. Enjoy!)




Music and lyrics written by Victoria Malawey © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Title
: "Why"
Written September 2000

Lyrics:
Who are you to come into my life?
I don’t see who gave you the right
Perhaps it was me

I don’t know why we can’t have what we want
I don’t know why it’s so hard to accept
Tell me why we can’t play the hand we’re dealt
Tell me why, why this must be

We have shared the most two can share
But now it’s lost, of this I am aware
Perhaps it’s not meant to be

I don’t know why we can’t have what we want
I don’t know why it’s so hard to accept
Tell me why we can’t play the hand we’re dealt
Tell me why, why this must be

In our lives there’s not much time
But perhaps, perhaps you can’t be mine

I don’t know why I can’t have what I want
I don’t know why it’s so hard to accept
Tell me why we can’t play the hand we’re dealt
Tell me why, why this must be

7 comments:

  1. Your music, lyrics, and voice touch me deeply. I feel certain your music during your difficult times - and your happy times - are so therapeutic for you. And now, as always, your music calms my soul and fills my heart with joy. What a gift you have, what a gift you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unrecorded and unreleased for over 12 years! Well that wrong has been righted! Keep 'em coming! And please don't wait so long to release current material eh!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this one well. So nice to hear again after all those years--it makes me I feel like I'm back at College Mall listening to you play these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That song was very moving, Victoria. It's a beautiful work of art. Thank you for sharing something so intimate to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I'm such a dunce and kept refreshing this blog and didn't see this new post - and now that I know you'll be posting every Friday, I won't have to check daily to see if there's something beautiful that you will be gifting the world. I am so glad you are sharing your music. YAY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listened to both songs you've posted so far. Lovely lyrics, and the melody is delightful to listen to. I am lucky enough to be in your Aunt Lynn's writing group, and I must say, her family has more than its fair share of creative talent.

    Keep sharing your gift...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog, listen, and comment, and thank you for your words of encouragement!

      Delete