Friday, February 1, 2013

"Lost"


I wrote this song last year while Kate was away on an epic road trip to the southwest.  (You can read about her travels here.)  I think the song captures the dissatisfaction I had been experiencing while feeling creatively stifled.  I'm hopeful that 2013, along with this blogging project, will allow me to let go of the negativity (but what will I write about in future songs?!).

I recorded two versions of this song (one in a crazy high key with my capo but lower for my voice and another in the original key sans capo).  I think the original version is better for my voice (though I liked the high guitar accompaniment in the other version).  I'll let you decide which you prefer.

Original version:



Alternate version:


Music and lyrics written by Victoria Malawey © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Title: "Lost"
Written March 2012

Lyrics:
While you find yourself
I find I’m lost
Taking security
But at what cost?

And now it is now
But how?

Facing anxiety
Yet I’m bored
Desire is not my friend
I just want more

And now it is now
But how?

Big questions frighten me
They take their toll
Why can’t I let it be?
I’m in a hole

And now it is now
But how?

4 comments:

  1. I think you need to go on a killer road trip! Or maybe a stay at an artists colony or something...you'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Bravo! I wanted to listen early, but my internet was acting up. First, I like the second version. I like your voice better. Not sure why because I do like the original version as well. But... and I agree with Kate, you should go to some kind of musician's retreat or something. However, I think if you keep this up, there will be no need other than the fun of it. And you say, "what will I write about then?" Girl, the more you stay open to it and let that creative ball keep rolling, the more will come to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. I could listen to both versions over and over (actually, I did), and like both so well it's hard to decide which I like better. Listening to the first version the first time, I couldn't phantom liking the second version better, then the second version was wonderful, too! I think you will always find an inspiration for writing music. Remember as a little girl you wrote then so creatively relating to your then experiences as well as through your growing-up years. Lynn is right - staying open, involved, and aware keeps the creativity flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second version captures the affect of the text better to me. I also like the contrast between your low register and the higher register of the guitar.

    ReplyDelete