Friday, March 22, 2013

"Creatively Filling the Void"

This week's song is one of my darkest, which I wrote a little over 11 years ago.  I wanted to portray a life in the day of someone who was simply becoming resigned to be unhappy--how depressing!  I was living in Chicago at the time, and I was struck by the sadness and isolation of the city, as well as how people struggle to fill their lives with meaning and the mishaps that happen when they fail to fill the void.  Of course, I suppose all songwriters draw upon their own life experiences in their songs, but this is one where I took some creative license and painted a much more depressing and exaggerated picture of anything I had ever felt or perhaps could only imagine feeling or experiencing.

At any rate, I decided to share this song with you because I really like how I structured the chord progression.  It's super chromatic--which means that I play a lot of chords that have notes outside the normal key--and I like how the chromatic harmonies work in sequence and with the melody I sing.  Speaking of which, this song is difficult for me to sing, and I think I would sing it better if I would record the piano and voice parts separately, but that is outside the scope of what I am trying to do right now.  (Remember, Challenge No. 1 is all about recording each of my favorite songs in one take, no editing.)  At any rate, here goes:




Music and lyrics written by Victoria Malawey © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Title: "Creatively Filling the Void"
Written November 2001

Lyrics:
Creatively filling the void
Why must it always have consequences?
Fighting so hard and then giving in
Booze, drugs, and all the men
Creatively filling the void

It’s dark outside when she awakes
In that groggy state where she feels fine
But then reality invites her misery
And all she knew is gone

Creatively filling the void . . .

She moves through her day, puts on a happy face
But inside she knows she’s lost this race
Hopefulness in conflict with hopelessness

Creatively filling the void . . .

And the sun comes down, night sets in
The streets are sad and lonely tonight
All that’s left is time for bed
And so she rests

We believe we should be happy
But everything comes at a price
Really it’s not about happiness
Rather it’s about sacrifice

Creatively filling the void . . .

2 comments:

  1. Good Lordy Girl - first, you say this is your darkest. I personally didn't find it all that dark because I loved the way the chord (is that right, the "creatively filling the void..." part?) is actually rather cheery (the way the piano sounds - to me anyway - and I LOVE that part by the way (how that sounds) and second, you say that you can't sing it HA. I thought you did it beautifully or cool and awesome, not just whatever. I'm not sure what it says about me that I seem to love your darkest pieces the best! Oopsy poopsy. Anyway, great job. Keep them coming (although I don't want you to go into a dark place to create - however, you did say this was written 11 years ago).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lynn - even though the lyrics reflected a dark place, very realistsically I might add, the melody (to my ear) was a great contrast to the lyrics. It sounded hopeful! I am beginning to believe Lynn and I have the same musical slant - we just know we like stuff but can't always describe how the sound is made that we like. That is why it is so helpful to read your introductions so I can know what to listen for. You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete