Friday, March 15, 2013

"Fly Away"

This week's song came out of my most prolific year to date, but it's a bit of a downer (surprise, surprise).  At the time I wrote it, I was really pleased with it.  It was probably a little more sophisticated than most of the other songs I wrote at the time so that's why I wanted to include it as part of Challenge no. 1.

I originally wrote this song in the key of E-flat major, but for whatever reason, I've been singing it in D-flat for the past few years.  That makes the bridge a little low for my voice, but I think it better suits the higher range in the chorus section ("fly away my dear . . .").

And just for the record, I did figure out "what I could be" without the person who I was addressing in the song.  Ha!




Music and lyrics written by Victoria Malawey © 2013 All Rights Reserved

Title: "Fly Away"
Written February 2000

Lyrics:
Love is a sunset on a warm summer day
Just when the sky turns from blue to grey
And then I think of you and there’s nothing I want more
But I know I must let you fly away

Love is a bird who sings sweet melodies
Enjoys the counterpoint of clouds
But like a bird, you only stay awhile
And I know I must let you fly away

Fly away my dear
Please don’t be sad anymore
I hope someday you find a love like I found in you
Fly away my dear
For we don’t know what’s in store
Fly away, sing a new song as you go away

Love is a song we once danced to
Laden with memories of you
But we can’t sing nor dance forever
And I know I must let you fly away

I don’t know if I can let you go
I can’t see what I can be without you

Fly away my dear
Please don’t be sad anymore
I hope someday you find a love like I found in you
Fly away my dear
For we don’t know what’s in store
Fly away, sing a new song as you go away

4 comments:

  1. The video didn't load - not sure if it's something on my end or yours....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, there it is... now I'll listen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG even though you say it's a downer, I think your better songs are downers - ha, but don't take that the wrong way. I also think there is something in creative peeps that when they are a bit on the down side, the creativity within sparks and they are able to unleash things that they wouldn't be able to otherwise - maybe that's just my thinking. Maybe because we go to the core in that depressed state or something. Anyway, still a BEAUTIFUL song. Love it love it. xxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely song. I really liked the lyrics and especially enjoyed the "I don’t know if I can let you go
    I can’t see what I can be without you"
    Goodness, you have had a lot of stuff going on in your life to have had all this stuff bubbling out of you. It's truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete